Monday, January 08, 2007

Our Yule Goat and its Burning

Dear friends I present to you pictures of our first Jule Bock and its subsequent devourment by flame. The date was last Thursday, January 4th. Jacob, Cory, Luke, Dawn, and myself were present for the event. It was constucted using boughs from mine and Dawn's Christmas tree and twine and string as follows: two boughs for each leg, pointing the same way but with opposing curvatures; approximately ten boughs for the body, pointing in both directions and not completely overlapping so as to give length; and several boughs for the head, pointing in the same direction. Note the twine job, especially on the head, mostly courtesy of Jacob. The head of the Yule Goat was donned with some dried holly. Please note the anatomical detail present, especially the phallus, the tail, the head shape, and the brown portion "stuck" in its anus. This goat was free-standing, most of the time.


Once complete, we moved the Jule Bock to Luke's fire pit and stuffed pieces of cardboard under the twine and in through the boughs. Neither the cardboard or the boughs would light very well, so we rolled up some newspapers and stuffed it in the same and similar places. Then our Yule Goat was devoured by the flames of the season, only needing to be adjusted by tipping its front half backward when the haunches collapsed. The flames went high and were bright and awesome. It took probably five minutes to burn. We were greatly distressed at the prospect of not having a working camera to record the event, but Luke scoured his house for batteries and the night was saved. A few chubbs on the go. After the burning we continued our great revelry about Luke's pond.














Jacob uttered some many days before the event something to the effect of "this may be our first Yule Goat burning, but it will not be our last."

7 Comments:

Blogger jill said...

i must say i am pretty impressed with that goat! i hope it brings you all good luck this year....or whatever its supposed to do. im sad that i missed the event....it better be continued next year!

Mon Jan 08, 10:50:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Best. Post. Everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.


Julbock!

p.s. Sweden's Yule Goat survived this year! unlike our own... which did not have flame-retardant, waterproof chemicals on it. That I know of. Okay, insert joke regarding Cory's "chemical treatment" on said julbock.

Tue Jan 09, 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

Yeah, don't ever let Cory back into it and spay whatever it is he sprays.....

I will also agree that a good time was had by all, including me now that I've seen the photos!

Tue Jan 09, 01:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jaboc said...

It was a great event indeed. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it was right next to the pond in Luke's backyard. The ice races we had should be part of the tradition from now on aswell. I'm looking forward to next year's building (a new goat design is already in the works), and even moreso next years burning!

Tue Jan 09, 05:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About time somebody posted that. What does "A few chubbs on the go" mean? The building and burning of the goat was unbelievably awesome, I really can't believe how well it went. It's without a doubt the most fun I've had without drinking (much) in many a year. And don't even think about duplicating it in the summer because that flame got way too big for a few minutes and would have started a serious forest fire had it not been winter.

Wed Jan 10, 12:05:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

I agree with everything C-Buttah just said. Completely (unexpectedly) awesome. In every way.

I think Jacob's words were along the lines of "this (amazing) yule goat will actually be the 'worst' Yule goat ever... in comparison to every yule goat to come" Man, he had plans for next year's goat, like Instantly! impressive.

man, chubbs are sweet.

and Ice Racing!!!! so awesome.... I wish i was at an ice-race right Now!!!

Wed Jan 10, 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger Hin-chay said...

Chubbs = stiffies.

Luke, the words of Jacob that I quoted were from about two weeks before the event.

Wed Jan 10, 02:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home