Monday, April 23, 2007

Back to the Avalon...

Well, the great Corner Brook excursion is over, and I am now back in St. John's. To be more specific, as Luke put it, I'm actually back to "Mountbatten". Hey, as I was leaving the city to drive back to town, I noticed another street in CB named "Mount Batten"! Coincidence? Meh, what do I care...I'm actually moving out in about 2 weeks to a place on New Gower! That's right..I've been home for a week and I'm sick of Mr. & Mrs. Fart already!

Anyways, I finally have SOME free time, which means your fears that I actually dissapeared from the face of the earth will hopefully be proven very wrong, very shortly.

I'd love to tell you all about it, but Ben just threw up outside my door, and I'd rather do it in person anyway, preferably over lots of alcohol. (Hint, Hint).

Anyways, a thought to ponder: I have three options in the fall...what are your opinions?

1) Apply-for/Accept a job in Edmonton at a school with a highly established music department

2) Apply-for/Accept a job in Happy Vallely-Goose Bay at a school with a highly established music department (yes, it's actually true)

3) Stay in St. John's and substitute, meanwhile collecting EI cheques from the government.

If I take one of the jobs, I think I'd go for the one in Labrador. It's cold, yes, but at least it's not Alberta. That being said, the substitute thing would be neat...I'd obviously have to spend my first EI cheque on Scotch and VLT's. Thoughts?

Let's drink!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I'd say Edmonton. Get out and see the world for a couple of years. Just think of the money....and no PST!

Good luck. :)

Mon Apr 23, 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

I also can't fathom living in Labrador. Edmonton is sure to suck too, but in ways that are very different. :)

Mon Apr 23, 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

yeah, better go on the dole and live life as a newfoundlander properly. shack up with the cougar you had your eye on, she knows how to treat a man right. alternately, spend you days dreaming about her in fiddlers: they're a friendly bunch... they're there for the beer.

Tue Apr 24, 06:08:00 AM  
Blogger Hin-chay said...

Whatever you do, can I get my jacket back some time? Also, we should see if we can scrape some locals together to do some communal drinking. I say we take a dart down to the Ye Old Quidi Vidi Inn. Slanted floors say it all.

Tue Apr 24, 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

Can you get EI while substituting? I'm down for some drinking, we'll have to have a send off for Jacob this weekend so Janes and Hinchey should make an appearence then. Janes, I'll ponder your choices and let you know when I see you.

Tue Apr 24, 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

Where's Jacob going? People(=Jacob) aren't using the huddle the way it was supposed to be used.

Tue Apr 24, 10:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jaboc said...

Phil's a stupid fuck.

The Huddle is being used as its primary function.

Thu Apr 26, 12:37:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

ouch. :)

Thu Apr 26, 07:41:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

janes- my two cents:

it seems like it doesn't really matter what position you take up- the question is really more like 'where do you want to live'?

staying in St. J's certainly has its advantages- though clearly you'd have to move out on your own.

Labrador would be really neat, potentially at least. If you're seeking isolation and some sort of tuning with nature.

Edmonton? Having never been there, I can't say for sure. But from what i understand from Jacob's summer of . . . whatever ... Deadmonton lives up to its name. But then again i seem to recall other factors working in there somewhere (lack of transport, etc etc.).\

So, if it's really travel you want- maybe make your scope a little wider? Asia, Europe...the carribean! who knows?

There's always 'teach for america'!


oh- and consider this- I am having the exact same debate- after my evil and depressing student teaching experience, I have absolutely no idea what's next for this huddler . . .

Fri Apr 27, 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

I think we should all convene on the centre of the known universe (Toronto, obvs). This includes wayward huddlers T.crizz and J.ill, and Luke.CasaGrande.

I mean really, who wants to go back to Australia or Texas after this summer is all said and done???

Fri Apr 27, 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

Luke, are you quitting teaching!?!? If you can't decide what you want to do just become a male porn star while you've still got it and decide the rest later.

Fri Apr 27, 07:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home