Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Throw away your TV



As if you didn't know, this is the Official Turn Off Your TV Week. Pictured is one of my favourite shirts from threadless called "Technology Ruins Nature" (appropriately enough).
I know I watch (or have watched) far too much tv. In fact, I was contemplating an attempt to cut myself off from tv & the internet(!) in the near future- for a sort of quasi-experiment--on myself.

But, as it turns out, I'm just 2 days late getting into this Turn off the Tv event...and so I'm gonna just try and go with that. Yeah, I had no idea it existed either.

And it's not to say that I watch a lot of tv (although, I find it hard to believe I'll be missing LOST tonight. [Imagine!] and do movies count because they're shown on the tv? what about the theatre? questions, questions...)...But if they come out with Turn off your Computer week- Call the ambulance- I may be just about fucked.

HOw are you all with the Televising Device?

6 Comments:

Blogger Student said...

as one who just went without tv for two months, it's not so exciting. and missing lost isn't such a good feeling either.

Wed Apr 26, 09:41:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

We're going to be moving again after our trip to the real belle province (fuck you Quebec!), and have concluded that we will not be getting cable. I likes my CBC for the odd hockey game and reasonable newscasts, however.

Luke, Tom, have you concluded on trips home yet?

Wed Apr 26, 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

not looking good for me, i've got no money. the only way it might work is if i get some assurance about a scholarship, but that goes for all the uncertainties in my life right now. so: 99% not likely...

Wed Apr 26, 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jaboc said...

Well since i moved into my new place, we also do not have cable, but cbc and ntv is fine for what I use it for. (p.s. I walk home for lost, which gives me a reason to see my family). Conveniently this all happened around the same time the weather started to get a bit nicer, so it's not as missed as I thought it would be.... although, nothing beats 3 straight hours of Star Trek TNG every afternoon on Spike, immediately followed by a fourth episode on Space. Fuck yeah!

Thu Apr 27, 01:45:00 AM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

Saying that turning off tv is a good thing seems too generalized to me. Would I be any smarter/better if I just read commie propaganda or Stephen King all day? p.s. they're one and the same, wake up!

Thu Apr 27, 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

i stand by my cocobro.

Fri Apr 28, 02:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home