Konichiwa from Okinawa
Hi all! I'm in Okinawa, roughly half-way between Japan proper and Taiwan. Flying from Vancouver to Tokyo took 10 hours, and I felt more or less like this image suggests I did:

I then wandered through Narita airport (the international airport for Tokyo) bewildered, as it was virtually empty of people, got my luggage significantly later than I thought I should have (since there didn't seem to be any other flights arriving, let alone people in general), and hopped on the limousine service between Narita and Haneda, the domestic airport somewhere else in Tokyo. Limousine actually means bus. We sped (literally), passing what must have been 20 or 30 small hotels that were all painted in some extremely bizarre fashion (for example, one of them was called the rainbow hotel, and each floor was painted a different colour). I also passed by a bunch of important looking buildings and finally got to the Haneda, which it turns out isn't one building, but at least two. The first for All Nippon Airways, and the second for Japan Airlines, which I was traveling on. This was significantly more like a regular airport, and it was *blocked* with people. Made the Vancouver airport seem boring. Hopped onto a second plane and flew the 2.5 hours down to Okinawa in a half-asleep daze, and was picked up there by the Single Molecule Workshop organizers, along with a half dozen other participants, and taken to a hotel somewhere in Okinawa city proper. It was extremely small (my head essentially touched the ceiling in the shower), and HOT. Okinawa is only slightly more North than Hawaii, and as such is quite warm right now and lush with beautiful vegetation, as in this image I took on our drive this morning from the hotel in the city to the conference venue:

Also note the funny boxy cars, which are all the rage in Japan. I'll leave you with this random coincidence; my roomate and I are watching Kill Bill volume 1, and she just bought a ticket to Okinawa. Who knew?! Sayanora.

I then wandered through Narita airport (the international airport for Tokyo) bewildered, as it was virtually empty of people, got my luggage significantly later than I thought I should have (since there didn't seem to be any other flights arriving, let alone people in general), and hopped on the limousine service between Narita and Haneda, the domestic airport somewhere else in Tokyo. Limousine actually means bus. We sped (literally), passing what must have been 20 or 30 small hotels that were all painted in some extremely bizarre fashion (for example, one of them was called the rainbow hotel, and each floor was painted a different colour). I also passed by a bunch of important looking buildings and finally got to the Haneda, which it turns out isn't one building, but at least two. The first for All Nippon Airways, and the second for Japan Airlines, which I was traveling on. This was significantly more like a regular airport, and it was *blocked* with people. Made the Vancouver airport seem boring. Hopped onto a second plane and flew the 2.5 hours down to Okinawa in a half-asleep daze, and was picked up there by the Single Molecule Workshop organizers, along with a half dozen other participants, and taken to a hotel somewhere in Okinawa city proper. It was extremely small (my head essentially touched the ceiling in the shower), and HOT. Okinawa is only slightly more North than Hawaii, and as such is quite warm right now and lush with beautiful vegetation, as in this image I took on our drive this morning from the hotel in the city to the conference venue:

Also note the funny boxy cars, which are all the rage in Japan. I'll leave you with this random coincidence; my roomate and I are watching Kill Bill volume 1, and she just bought a ticket to Okinawa. Who knew?! Sayanora.





















10 Comments:
Phil- you are officially the coolest guy in the Huddle right now. This Rules!
Wasn't the drive through Tokyo *exactly* like Star Wars?!?! you're like halfway up huge building, swerving around them.
I *can't* wait for pictures to come! That flight sounds like a bizatch. the Narita airport is weird... but man, you're in uncharted territory! I hope it's awseome.
With any luck, you'll eat all sorts of weird stuff (lotus root, crazy noodles, shabu shabu)! I Hiighly recommend the real ramen- a big bowl of soup and veggies (and usually meat- i hope the vegetarian thing works out for you! or maybe you'll be eating some north american food?). and Shabu Shabu is the most fun you'll have, but again, it's centered around dipping veggies and meat in little vat of broth, and is delicious. luckily, pictures of all th emeals are displayed in wax outside most restaurants, hahaha.
Shinto Shrines are also very cool.
As are the hotel toilets in some (heated, with built in sprayer). and, you might as well use a japanese toilet whiile you have the chance, hahah
Anyway, hope you have a great time! wish I was there now!
"Hot" sounds great! I'll take that! Missing you lots and bring be back something frea-kay from Japan! :D
bring me something too!!!!
you have to blog three times a day minimum while in nippon.
sweeeet..........
tell us more.....
Man sounds like a totaly crazy time. I really want to visit Tokyo/Courasant. Describe every random thing in detail. I'm lovin every minute of it.
Enjoy the rest of your visit!
Pfft...Japan Schmazann....
If you want to hear about a REAL trip, stay tuned next week, when I post a detailed account of my forthcoming exursion to the exotic land known only as The Goulds.
Now THAT'S entertaining...
yo phil, youze in my time zone now.
give me a ringading at 0428754397 (plus whatever crazy calling codes might be required)
actually, i think the code is:
001~ 61 (0?)428 754 397
do it!!! you won't regret it!!!
phil, are you in to skype? I can;t rremember if you are or not. you could always use that to call that wack-assed number.
tom and jill should get on skype. so should everyone else. in fact, they have a 'button' you can put on your website to call you directly. that's pretty wacky.
sayonara!
Luke gets points for a Star Wars reference, Jacob gets negative points for not being able to spell Coruscant properly.
Janes gets points for going to the Goulds, and Luke gets even further points for the warm-seated toilet reference, one of which exists in my hotel room, replete with further buttons for water squriting in wonderful dirctions. "When in Rome..."
Tom gets points for excitement, though I'm afraid I don't think I'll be able to call him while here, and Arielle and Sue get points, one for mentioning freaky things (geishas), and the other for spelling freaky in a freaky way!
I'm going on a tour of an ancient japanese temple today, so I'll try and get a copycat picture of Luke's here, and we can be twins. :)
More pictures tonight!
Man I googled courasant and everything!
sweet point system, phil.
hope you get the pic!
too bad phil's a liar :( i see no updated post here.. looks like he blew his load on the first post. (Oh, Snaap!) Which was the peak of excellent, btw.
the peak!
haha, ain't those toilets amazing! probably one of my fav. parts of japan. how sad is that!
Post a Comment
<< Home