Overnight in Ulaanbaatar

As this picture indicates, Jill is having lots of fun on her trip.
Anybody seen RIZE? It looks like crap, but trusty unhealthy Ebert makes it sound pretty good:
' Still, "Rize" on the whole brings good news, of a radical social innovation that simultaneously sidesteps street gangs and bypasses hip-hop. Krumping should turn up any day now on BET and MTV, if it hasn't already; whether the dancers will be dressed as clowns is less likely. There is something a little eerie about clowns, and to see dozens of them at once perhaps inspires even gang members to go elsewhere.
The most remarkable thing about "Rize" is that it is real. I remember hearing vaguely at Sundance about an earlier short subject that LaChapelle made about this phenomenon; was it on the level or a mockumentary? If "Rize" were a fake doc, it would look about the same as it does now, and would be easier to absorb, since the idea of gangs of clowns sounds like a put-on. But it isn't. '
Anyhoo, just some interesting info for you guys. By the way, don't watch The Proposition, which you might since Ebert gave it 4 stars.
Not much else on the go... Just thought I'd put a bee in your bonnettss...
PS: Jill might be going to Transylvania, but only if we encourage her!!!!





















3 Comments:
I assume Jill's the one with the long and winding trombone? duh duh, duh dahh dahhhhhhhh
Jill, I Urge you to go to transylvannia! how could you pass that up !?!?! :)
And Tom, how are you coping down there all on your lonesome? (clearly not well)
Yeah, poor unhealthy Ebert. I think I like that he, for one, acknowledges that he has certain tastes for movies. (all be some of them are weird). But he's right about the clowns ;)
T-dog, remember when you were such a big Leonard Maltin fan? sweet. I saw him on TV last weeek, talking about Marie Antoinette. He "couldn't wait to see it". Because he doesn't go to Cannes! (doesn't that make him a schlo-mo?)
What do you mean "remember when". It is still true!
yeah, unfortunately i was dupped by the stooge of right wing americana and sentimental claptrap crap. G-D! anyhoo, i suppose "pobody's nerfect" (that goes for him and me): but at least i don't pretend to be a critic (right??). I doubt Leonard Maltin has heard of Cannes.
PS: here's a site for your delectation:
http://www.cahiersducinema.com/
i hope this maltin slam has put movie-hating philbert in his computer-loving place. The solution to this difference in taste? The burgeoning world of Michinima, movies made out of computer "gameplay". although this probably appeals to Andy a lot more than philbert or i.
Post a Comment
<< Home