Sunday, February 04, 2007

Noreen Golfman SmackDown

Never one to get too deeply involved in idealistic debates by Newfoundlanders, this is nevertheless interesting. I am much happier to debate the 'generally' bi-partisan, or non-partisan political questions brought up by NL MHAs, but Rick Mercer VS. ex. 'Here and Now' movie reviewer-cum-Women's Studies Prof.- Noreen Golfman, is worth checking out.

Prof. Golfman's original comments
My MUN sociology prof. used the CBC as an example of possible media bias. I'm wondering what you all think about that. I think that American privately owned news is significantly more biased than the publicly owned CBC or BBC. Anyone have examples where that's not true?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Philip said...

My only immediate comment is that Rick and others went over on their own accord, and not as part of some CBC-related event. That he then talked about it on his show/blog/whatever are his own doing.

Also, what the hell am I supposed to think of ``MUN Graduate''? Surely a MUN prof doesn't mean to belittle her own institute, so I don't get the motivation for her writing that to begin with.

Sun Feb 04, 09:34:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

seems to me she's as ignant as ever hey guys!...

is that what she really meant? i'll check it out....

Mon Feb 05, 03:59:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

I think the "MUN" Graduate part is meant to question what Hillier actually learned at MUN.

This, of course, seems to belittle the institution, and also seems to say that university graduates are the literal antithesis of men and women in the armed forces.

If that is what she's saying, I think that's clearly untrue: there's a significant history of intelligent, learned people in charge of fighting batallions. Churchill studied Herodotus, and how about Simon Frasier--- who studied at Oxford, but happened to be a british commander in WW2.

P.S., I just wiki'd all that shiznit up.

Mon Feb 05, 05:20:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

Well I would say contrary to popular opinion the vast majority of military command folks are quite intelligent, given militaries tend to be meritocracies-- the stigma against officers and generals is just part of everyone hating first world war generals, which they shouldn't!!!

based on my reading, what golfman was saying was that
a) canadians are hypocritically celebrating the canadian victims ie soldiers of the war--hypocritical because the news coverage glosses over the more difficult questions of whether there should be a war and goes for the easy, emoitionally manipulative story of mangled soldiers...
b) although newfoundlanders are generally seen as leading canadian social critics via comedy, they have failed to see through the manipulations of the media in these stories and, worse, have allowed themselves to be tricked into actually supporting the war by the nationalism/newfoundlandism that comes from all newfoundlanders worshiping rick hillier as a great newfoundland success story, ie newfoundlanders are unquestioning about the war because their progressive comedians have enshrined it as something beyond satire, and because it is being run in canada by a newfoudlander who is also beyond criticism.

so, my guess is what she meant by rick 'mun graduate' hillier is that he and his supporters use his connection to newfoundland to guilt newfoundlanders to support him without question and that in particular he uses his mun connection to force those educated sorts of newfoundlanders in particular to feel connected to him and support him (and presumably noreen golfman has been seeing a lot of students who might ordinarily criticise the war supporting it and hillier for that reason).

Also, luke that webpage 'gates of vienna' was a nice breath of raging racist fresh air, i particularly like the allusing to destroying the eu, never trusting moderate muslims, and the general worship of conservative us... have you been indoctrinated into the sophisticated world views of the red states i wonder?

Mon Feb 05, 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

No indocrtination here, Herr Crosbie... and I figured as much . . . but I wasn't about to actually read the "comments"

As for the N Golfman Hypothesis; I think that all sounds very true, and very reasonable to me . . . I do think that because the Iraq war looks so awful in contrast, we have given Canada carte blanche to work in Afganistan, and that's never a good thing.

I just hope that her intentions were more along those lines, because her poorly executed satire/disgust was, to say the least, ineffective.

Tue Feb 06, 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

yeah.... another example of the 40/50-somethings lax-moralising-, self-satisfied-stranglehold on st john's culture? written in the lazy languidness of the duke after an impromptu ron hynes concert, no doubt, a hearty round of hang-over breakfast applause all along circular road greeting its appearance the day after-, it just goes to show the need for radicalised young newfoundlanders to shirk the officialdom of a bureaucratised faux-lspu-intellegentsia! that's where my cocobro comes in, quitely biding his time entering strategically altered tax forms, ready to pounce.... (the other newfoundland huddlers being understandably tied up with Wii...)

Tue Feb 06, 02:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home