Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Is You 'Appy?

SO!

What does a Newfoundlander do to cheer up whilst living away from home and feeling homesick? Why, go see Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers of course! I couldn't convince Philip to go so I educated a fellow co-worker on NFLD song. She had a fantastic time (as did I) watching Kevin go completely mental for 3 hours. It's good to hear that accent again and wipe a tear for a song or two.

There were about 200 people there and half of them were from home. Da boys decided to explain townie vs bayman so they asked who was a townie (and about 15 of us hooted) then they asked who was a bayman (and the place hit the roof). I then had to explain THAT to my friend.

I even discovered a Lower Mainland Newfoundland & Labrador Heritage Society (www.nfldsocietybc.com) here that you can become a member of and go to lots of Newfie gatherings throughout the year. Next month, they're having Bingo and pea soup with dumplings! Now, if dat don't say Newfoundland, wha?

Here's some pics:



5 Comments:

Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Phil! Boo!

I think that's sweeeeet. did they sing 'got to get yer moose?'

there's a sort of related group here 'canadians in austin' doubt there are any Newfoundlanders. but maybe. lots in houston.

Tue Mar 28, 03:36:00 PM  
Blogger Janezy said...

Boo is right, Phil!! How could you not want to go??? I am both shocked and appalled.

I've seen Buddy Wasisname 7 times now...sure, every show is exactly the same, but it's still friggin' hilarious nonetheless...

Perhaps Phil is still struggling with his self-identity...does being born in Torbay make you a townie or a bayman?

Trivia: one of our grade 4 teachers (we had like 8 different ones that year) was Kevin Blackmore's sister...or was that grade 5?

Tue Mar 28, 07:31:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Psssst: Philip was born in Mission, BC.

Psssst: He lived in Middle Cove, not Torbay.

:P

I've seen 'em three times now and no, they didn't sing "Got To Get Yer Moose, B'y!" although they DID sing, "Saltwater Joys!"

Tue Mar 28, 09:21:00 PM  
Blogger Janezy said...

sigh...I'm just gonna go ahead do what I should have been doing all along, and that's shutting the jesus up. Feel free to insult me all you want Phil (I know you'd do it anyway, but I thought I'd let you know you have my permission...:P

And for the record, Middle Cove is still in the "Torbay-ish" area. that's right.

anyways, Saltwater Joys, while a gorgeous tune, doesn't come close to beating "Flatout" in terms of geniusissity.

Wed Mar 29, 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

It's true, but it was at Bishop Abraham (is that what the school was called, that's the first time I've ever thought about it). Our music teacher, "coke bottle glasses", said a friend of hers wrote it and we were the first to perform it, at summer sing I believe.

Sat May 06, 08:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home