hauling home: bringing home of the bride to husband's house after the wedding; celebration of the occasion. 1887 Colonist Christmas No 2 The near friends of the couple [just married], and a few of the more privileged neighbors, will assemble again in a few days, when what is called the 'hauling home' takes place—that is, the installation of the bride in her new home, when, of course, a dance must take place. C 71-128 ~ The last of several nights (and days) on which a wedding feast and celebrations are held.
-from the Dictionary of Newfoundland English.
(we'll miss that first bit... but we'll be hauling home all the same... let the celebrations go on! )





















9 Comments:
where, of course, a dance must take place
Hilar.
Thanks everyone for coming! It was a perfect day and, of course, your presence contributed to that prefection. As soon as Jonathan (my cousin photographer) hands over da pics, I'll get our huddle banner added to the top (although I'm thoroughly enjoying the current lilac one).
man, they couldn't imagine pool dancin' back then!
way to haul it home, Philllll!!!!!!!!!!!!
p.s. temp. nup pics going up...
need larger picture files.... pls. advise... post 2 flickr!
The BEST NEWFOUNDLAND wedding EVER!!! Well... the only one I have been to -- but absolutely beautiful in every way! Great picture of you two in the banner - gorgeous, I have to say the after party wasn't so shabby either. Especially considering I had to take a nap by 10:00pm to recover from my hangover!
Great job Huddlers!
just noticed: the 4th & 5th most interesting things about the banner pic- both Clara & unidentified man are gripping their noses for no particular reason.
That would be my cousin, Lauren, and my dad's cousin, Bob (the photographer's dad). :p Wicked nose duo!
No, wait, it IS Klára afterall.
Post a Comment
<< Home