Saturday, January 28, 2006

What do you do with a dress like that?

A while ago on his now-defunct personal weblog, Luke linked to a short peice of prose that was really quite beautiful (though it certainly helps that we all know what St. John's is like). I'll repost it here for those who missed it the first time around:

Now the dress is tucked away in my closet. What do you do with a dress like that? A closet in an old rickety house in downtown St. John’s with rain and dark skies and frost on the front steps in the morning and the pigeons flying up. All the folds and gleaming shininess.
- from Lisa Moore's weblog.

If you read the site it has a rather long story all about the dress, but we never get to see it. Well, I just saw a picture of Lisa Moore on the CBC website in what has to be that dress, and for whatevere reason, I'm glad to close that circle. Here it is, reproduced from Nfld. writer Moore wins regional Commonwealth Prize:

3 Comments:

Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Hey Phil- yes. thanks for reading the old site! :) nice to have faithful readers afterall :)
How funny, you and I must have similar patterns in some ways> I'm constantly checking the cbc's webpage for NFLD news.
And of course, I too came about the same picture, and had the same thought! At the time, I had been searching for such a picture, and it was nowhere to be seen. Anyway, agreed, it's nice to connect the words to the physical image :) and kudos to her for winning, hope she wins the whole enchilada!
P.s. > has anyone read any of her stuff? I'm planning on it, but haven't yet.

*anyway, out to see the T-man! laters!

Sun Jan 29, 12:29:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

and the J-Girl! (oops!)

Sun Jan 29, 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

I'm not entirely sure how I came across that site, come to think of it. Surely it had to be because of the Newfoundland title, but the sequence of events now escapes me.

I too haven't ready any of her stuff unfortunately!

How are the T-man and J-girl?

Sun Jan 29, 04:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home