Tuesday, August 15, 2006

No more hockey night in Canada?

Here's a good editorial on what it's going to mean when the contract between the CBC and the NHL expires in two years: basically the end of the CBC as we know it.

The only thing Bell Globemedia is able to do that doesn't suck is The Globe and Mail, and even that is a questionable statement.

6 Comments:

Blogger Janezy said...

I just spent the last half hour typing a response to this. The more I typed, the more I thought, the more I typed, etc. It was a vicious cycle that would have ended in an expletive-filled 5 page rant that wouldn't really go anywhere...

So instead of that, I'll dumb it down to 4 words:

This really fuckin' sucks.

Janesy

Tue Aug 15, 08:45:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I concur with Janestyle.

Wed Aug 16, 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

I wouldn't worry too much about it, CTV has tried to outbid the CBC before. CBC will come through with the cash, as long as people complain enough that they want hockey on CBC then the CBC can bid way more money then a business actually concerned with making a profit. Also the NHL is in no position now to alienate Canadian fans, maybe two years from now they'll do better in the US, but I doubt it. At worst they'll probably work out some deal where TSN will get to broadcast Leafs games every other Saturday, which wouldn't be so bad since then we might get more Habs games (but probably just more Ottawa games).

Wed Aug 16, 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Hin-chay said...

The editorial said that the CBC spends $65 million to get $30 back in revenues to fund other programming. If that statement is true, then loath it or lactate over it, the CBC is much better off without Hockey Night in Canada. I mean, a-lot better off... err, at least a very large bit better off.

Wed Aug 16, 04:34:00 PM  
Blogger Hin-chay said...

(sorry, $30 million, not $30)

Wed Aug 16, 04:35:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Cory, I hope you're right.

You know, what really sucks is that I can't even get a frikkin' game on the TV down here. I like me some Habs too! (But in the middle of winter, when I want to feel cold, and ignore the fact that it's 85 degrees out, I'll settle for the Minnesota Northstars!)

And, what does everyone think re: Hin-chay's comments? Does the $30 M. figure mean profit? or do they sink $35 Million into doing it every year? that can't be right.

And 140$ M. is a lot of cash . . . maybe CBC will make a new channel! CBC Sportsnet. . . they could do that. I'd watch it.

Sat Aug 19, 12:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home