Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Body & Other Speakers of Note

I should obviously be doing something more productive right now- like studying for my conflict exam- but y'know, a lil' belated blogging is calling.

Thought I'd update y'all on a couple of things I've seen lately (yes, the epic ACL day 3 post will eventually come). But in the meantime, here's what's been on the Southwest Texas campus:

Last night, as part of the Common Experience (a neat program to unite incoming Freshmen), Edward James Olmos came to speak. He's the teacher from "Stand and Deliver"- and was a very entertaining and dynamic speaker- although he has a tendency to go a little long. His main topics: education of minorities/alternate points of view, and their portrayal in TV and film. (okay, he obviously didn't look 'exactly' like that ;) . . .But . . .close.

More interestingly, and more importantly, I also got the chance to see these characters:

That's right- pictured here are Kinky Friedman, the next governor of the great state of Texas, and his supporter, Jesse 'the body' Ventura, former governor of Minnesota. I was the last guy they let in to Evans Auditorium on campus, and man, it was pretty awesome seeing the Kinkster and the Body. Jesse Ventura appears as though he could crack me into pieces with a single twitch of his third and fourth fingers. So, I was glad to be a little further back. He said some great things, about Clinton avoiding the presedntial debates in '96 because he had such a huge lead, about the Republicans and Dems. banning together to keep out third parties (namely Ross Perot) from the debate after they took over the League of Women Voters, the group that formerly decided who would debate whom. And he also just looked huge and cool.

Kinky was hilarious, and very insightful, as usual- he defines the no-nonsense approach, and I feel as though he will really be willing to step up and provide leadership in areas that I am concerned about- especially education.

After the speeches, Kinky and the Body walked out through the Quad with a gaggle of reporters and signed things and talked to students for over an hour. You don't see the ridiculously pompous Rick Perry (R-Governor) doing that.

Here's Kinky's latest commercial. What d'y'all think? (Keep in mind he's toned his usual act down quite a bit for TV).

Kinky's commercial

4 Comments:

Blogger Student said...

lots of info here. kinky is a wonderful larrikin, that's all i got to say on that. ventura must have been a little intimidating, what's his financial status like i wonder? exwrestlers probably arent rolling in it, but i guess he skimmed a little off minnesota. of course, poor wrestlers are clearly the most intimidating people of all, see crazy sailor white. yessir, i hope many a more comment lands on this post for my amusement.

coco, do you have access to the internet at work? anyone else?

ps jacob failed to mention the excellent name sake of his cat.... DIDNT YOU ?!?!? be proud!

Tue Oct 03, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Oh man- i can't say the actual origin of his dolla bills, but one thing I can tell you is that Jesse, the body says he lives in Mexico! on the beach by the Baja.

Thus the wicked fu-man beard.

Man, life's pretty sweet when you're in Mexico. Not that I'd know. I mean, you could live on bean and chease tacos for 10 dollars ayear!

how rich do you gotta be?

man. Sailor white- that's the craziest motherfucker I ever saw expose-d on here & now.

Wed Oct 04, 01:05:00 AM  
Blogger jill said...

i cant believe kinky actually won...didnt expect that!

Thu Oct 05, 02:06:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

uh-oh- not sure what I said wrong, but Kinky hasn't won quite yet. . . November somethign or other is the election- I will keep ye Ex-Texans in the know!

adios!

Thu Oct 05, 12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home