Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Random questions to promote further blogging of substance

Here are a variety of questions directed at people who should be blogging more, as well as a longer diatribe on the state of my own masters work.

Jacob: You're doing a second undergrad degree???? What. The. Fuck? Through discussions with other huddlers, we have concluded that you are insane.

Cory: What is your status? And, for sekret reasons, are you still living with your parents?

Matthew: I don't even know if you're alive anymore, but what is your take on Les Habs (this can also go out to Janes) this season? I'm worried about this goalie situation myself. I think Huet deserves the time to get his groove back, and they should trade Abby to someone for a bit of scoring. Or something. Oh yeah, and how's that whole law thing going?

Jill & Tom: talk about Australia a bit more! I'm sure it is in some ways freaky and interesting that aren't obvious to those of us who aren't there.

Three pond barrens bloggers: assholes!

Me:

I've spent the last year working between my lab and a microbiology group at UBC, trying to get a joint project whereby we take cells that are capable of pulling DNA across their cell walls to actually do this with one piece of DNA at a time while I tug on the other end with my tweezers. Suffice to say there have been a large number of problems along the way, and to date I've not been able to get the cells to do this. I'm only a masters student, and should be finished now, but I'm nowhere near the end yet. In fact, I've just switched projects to something involving single-stranded DNA molecules that can base-pair with themselves and thus have interesting force-extension relations, in an effort to get something to work so that I can finish by the end of this school year (or at least, before September 2007). So I'll be a year late, but hopefully something will have worked.

As you can imagine it has been depressing for me, and I've found it hard to stay motivated and want to come to work every day. Having switched projects though, hopefully I can get more in a groove and actually get some results. Fingers crossed.

10 Comments:

Blogger Philip said...

Addendum:

Arielle: discuss some medical school stuff as though anyone else will understand it. We want curious onlookers to be amazed with our collective intellect. I'll even post pseudo-serious sounding comments!

Wed Oct 11, 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger Janezy said...

That doesn't sound too hard, Phil. I saw Harry Blackstone do the same trick with two goat cells and a hankerchief on the old Dean Martin Show!

Yes, I agree there are some huddlers who need to be huddlin' more often. Surely ONE of you has a yarn that could rival my epic Viking saga...

Speaking of which, check this out.

Wed Oct 11, 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I second the "arseholes" comment on Three Pond Barrens.

This place has been way too dead for too long.

Wed Oct 11, 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

that's so sweet janes, im loving your slow drift towards viking hood and its excellent media coverage!

also, the harry blackstone comment was particularly funny, should i assume you literally cracked yourself up while writing it?

go huddle!

Wed Oct 11, 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

Kudos to Janzy on a surprisingly hillarious comment.

Is that supposed to be some kind of dig, yeah I'm still living with my parents, what of it! Oh I'm sure you'd be out on your own if you still lived here. You'd have the wedding in your mother's womb (yes Arielle, I said womb) if you could. That's probably what your real masters project is designed to achieve. And that project doesn't sound very physicsy to me, Gary Case certainly wouldn't approve of it I'll tell you that. Fuck you Phil and fuck your bullshit project and fuck your non-womb wedding. Hope you enjoy your freaky Hallowe'en fireworks with the rest of your Van-city hippie crack whore cocksucking friends. Damnit my bloods all riled up, now I'll never get to sleep!

Thu Oct 12, 01:35:00 AM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

I just read the post again, what secret reasons are talking about?! And why'd you spell it with a k. What kind of game are you playing Johnson?!?!

P.S. You could have had the wedding in her womb, but I've got the entrance all booked up through September, after that I'm renting it out for a nickel a poke.

Thu Oct 12, 01:41:00 AM  
Blogger jill said...

i saw two kangaroos while walking to work the other day...just in a random parking lot...did i already post this?? hmmmmm

Thu Oct 12, 05:53:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

Kangaroos! Australia is crazy.

Thu Oct 12, 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Gary Case... HAhahahaha

i have no idea who harry blackstone is. damnit!

Jill- you haven't posted anything in . . . a "while"? hehe.... I kid, I kid.

ARIELLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M. ROWE JR>!!!!

Fri Oct 13, 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Cory: "sekret"=where to send the wedding invite *wink*

I vote against a womb wedding. Maybe Hinchey can swing that one!

Sat Oct 14, 12:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home