Comin' To a mailbox near you.
Greetings in the New Year, Huddlers far + wide! This post has been waiting quite a while; now that I'm back in Austin, I finally have the camera cord to upload the proof. The Yule Goat video does exist, and I've started stitching it together; that should be online later this week. But in the meantime, a little message to update foreign Huddlers on a little project whose goodies are enroute as we speak.
If you notice the new banner, you'll see a transparency of the blog's label, atop a wooded hoop. Several months ago I began planning a silk-screening project, using that as my first design. Over Christmas, I transported the chemicals to Portugal Cove, where I burned the screen, and proceeded to produce t-shirts for all huddlers, at home and abroad! Seen below is the final product:

Affixed to the shirt is the label "The Holyrood Huddle" in Garamond 110, with the subtext "off the grid since '92" in blue below (Garamond 18). The shirts were purchased in bulk from a skateboarding company in St. John's, and are pre-shrunk 100% cotton. The process was hilariously enjoyable, yet fraught with certain perils, and I have learned much in the meantime. . . and look forward to producing many more!
the screen-burning process turned out to be the most complicated. . . and you'll see that the final product is a little rough, though nonetheless, quite enjoyable, and indeed, my mistakes endeared the shirt with a certain rustic quality. The blue, unforte., did not turn out so strong, as the shirt soaked up much of the colour upon its drying. Nevertheless, I hope you all shall wear them proudly, in honour of our long-distance love affair. (with janesey.)
--- The "locals" have received their shirts already! The exception being the Hin-Chays, whose shirts are waiting at 293 Lemarchant.
For those in Kingston, Toronto, Fredricton, and Australia, the shirts should arrive soon! Phil and Sue's were packed seperately, to save $, but let's hope that they both arrive alive. For the Australians. . . ha. I did save 7$, but that means they won't make it until sometime in Mid-February, or Early March. :D Sorry Aussies!
--- So. Directions: The longest part of the process was surprisingly the heating (ironing). I did about half of them before realizing that the heat setting was too low. So, please, before washing them, I would advise about 3 mins. of ironing on each side on a high setting. (Cover the front with some material!) If it washes off, c'est la vie... but I used commercial fabric ink, so in principle, it should stick. Here's to hoping!
If you notice the new banner, you'll see a transparency of the blog's label, atop a wooded hoop. Several months ago I began planning a silk-screening project, using that as my first design. Over Christmas, I transported the chemicals to Portugal Cove, where I burned the screen, and proceeded to produce t-shirts for all huddlers, at home and abroad! Seen below is the final product:

Affixed to the shirt is the label "The Holyrood Huddle" in Garamond 110, with the subtext "off the grid since '92" in blue below (Garamond 18). The shirts were purchased in bulk from a skateboarding company in St. John's, and are pre-shrunk 100% cotton. The process was hilariously enjoyable, yet fraught with certain perils, and I have learned much in the meantime. . . and look forward to producing many more!
the screen-burning process turned out to be the most complicated. . . and you'll see that the final product is a little rough, though nonetheless, quite enjoyable, and indeed, my mistakes endeared the shirt with a certain rustic quality. The blue, unforte., did not turn out so strong, as the shirt soaked up much of the colour upon its drying. Nevertheless, I hope you all shall wear them proudly, in honour of our long-distance love affair. (with janesey.)
--- The "locals" have received their shirts already! The exception being the Hin-Chays, whose shirts are waiting at 293 Lemarchant.
For those in Kingston, Toronto, Fredricton, and Australia, the shirts should arrive soon! Phil and Sue's were packed seperately, to save $, but let's hope that they both arrive alive. For the Australians. . . ha. I did save 7$, but that means they won't make it until sometime in Mid-February, or Early March. :D Sorry Aussies!
--- So. Directions: The longest part of the process was surprisingly the heating (ironing). I did about half of them before realizing that the heat setting was too low. So, please, before washing them, I would advise about 3 mins. of ironing on each side on a high setting. (Cover the front with some material!) If it washes off, c'est la vie... but I used commercial fabric ink, so in principle, it should stick. Here's to hoping!





















16 Comments:
Luke Quinton! Is this why you wanted all that info from me the other day? This is SO awesome! How very thoughtful (and exciting! I want full deets on silkscreening)! I can't wait to get it. :D Thanks very much.
wow luke! way to get things done! we are eagerly watching our mailbox...youre wicked!
Yes, well played! Here's to you, and also to Mr. Borden and his lovely daughter (formerly of ntv!), who was no doubt the shining light that lead you to this excellent discovery!
Did YOU have a silkscreen put on the wall in Borden's class? I did: it was Krist Novoselic (of Nirvana fame)'s face!
An astroboy lookalike up in here, from a Smashing Pumpkins concert poster. Hellllls yeah.
I'd like to go back to MDJH just to see that stuff again. :)
Once again, thanks Luke. Disregard my latest facebook message as it inquires about ironing instructions that you've mentioned in your last post.
Sweet comnts. all 'round.
My history with Mr. Borden was a little more complicated. Intriguingly, I chose to make a shirt of the Foo Fighters' gun from their album cover —weird Kris Novaselic tie-in there. But, evidently I was a perfectionist weirdo at the time, and despised it enough that I lied and said my dog actually ate it. Man, Mr. Borden was a good guy not to kick the shit out of me. So, I pursued something else instead...possibly adding further detail to my wooden truck from Back to the Future 1. Man, too bad my print's not on the MDJH wall. You could say that this project is my way of making it up to M. Bords. (But that would be untrue.)
Once again Luke, sweet shirt and a sweet idea!
To all of those who haven't received it yet, rest assured that the shirts are of the utmost quality, the bidding is already up to $12.50 for mine on ebay. Now if I can get $20 for it, it'll all have been worth it, hanging out with Luke these past 13 years.
Thanks again buddy! Keep those shirts coming.
got the tee today...two words: baw-ler. I saw p. hilton rockin one in L.A.
props to Lucas Quinton, huddler of the year 2007?
ho ho— so glad it made it~
and thanks for all the compliments, guys (that includes 'girls').... super appreciated! It was just fun to do.
Philip's arrived tonight! A vertical huddle! Very chic. So now, what's the "off the grid since '92" mean?
good work on the shirts Luke, I can honestly say its the nicest shirt you've ever given me. I built a car in industrial arts instead of silkscreening. How the fuck do you grade a 12 year old's ability to build a car or silkscreen?
well, basically if you were such a puss that you made a toy car instead of a sick silk screen you fail-- you fail big time.
haha. oh, snap. sorry for your luck coco.
And as for the 'OTG-since 92'. . . I refuse to explain any further. . . except to say it refers to australians' penchant for energy-independence, as discussed this summer, and to the year in which the blue jays won the first of 2 world series.
more discerning eyes will also note it was on the blog for at least a month or so this fall. oh snapindeed.
[that mean comment was from tom not me]
Jill, we figured that. ;)
My shirt's arrived! However, I have no "off the grid". Is that because I wasn't a member of the Huddle at that point? :p Thanks very much, Luke! I'm feelin' the love!
I've just been informed to look at the back, and there's the grid! Fabulous! :D
Post a Comment
<< Home