Sunday, May 11, 2008

Famous for the public good

IN THE LATEST chapter of my upcoming infamy, there reads a brief addendum alleging to my contribution to the public good this Saturday, May the 10th, via letter to the St. John's Evening Telegram, wherein, I have some haberdashery to take up with the school board of the Avalon Peninsula.

If you're in town and have a copy of Saturday's paper laying about, feel free to check the "letters to the editor" section, wherein you shall find one from a Mr. L. Quinton, residing, Austin, Texas, these united states.  It is of no great import, save for the future of the downtown core, its residents, culture, children, and community. But, like I said, no big deal.

Unfortunately, they also took it upon their liberty to ADD a grammar mistake, and take out an "important" point.  Nevertheless, should you choose to frame it, I suggest doing so a place that allows privacy, like a closet.  But frame away.

If you're "away,"  (or faking going to Albania for a few days), you can check it out here.

15 Comments:

Blogger Janezy said...

Wait...didn't you retire from teaching?

Mon May 12, 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Hahah. Technically, yes. Although, I'm now typing from a 4th grade classroom, wherein I'm the substitute :).

I guess i'm now retire-rehire :D

Speaking of which...Janes, so glad you brought it up: This is obviously an excellent time to discuss YOUR eminent retirement from the HVGB teaching scene! Spill it!

Mon May 12, 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger WhiteLily said...

Man, there's a lot of teachers in this group! I won't mention the grammar mistakes in your comment, Luke. :p Nice article (you said what needed to be). You're famous!

Mon May 12, 06:21:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

grammar mistakes? bring 'em. we'll have a discussion.

granted, it's the ntrnt, so obvsly, the 'no caps, no vwls, aussie rules', etc. but i'm curious all the same.

Mon May 12, 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger WhiteLily said...

I, of course, meant your comment above mine and NOT the article.

And I was just joking. :p

Mon May 12, 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

hmm, jokes are good... still want to hear grammar issues! it's like a puzzle. a really un-fun puzzle. hahaha

Tue May 13, 12:08:00 AM  
Blogger Hin-chay said...

So what are the specs on this new megaschool? In other words, in what ways could the ultraschool be better than numerous unischools?

Wed May 14, 07:45:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

Janes you better not leave HVGB before I get home!

Damn you Janes!

Well written letter by the way Luke. My advice is to keep on it: follow the developments and send some more letters around. Big schools are shitty, there's no question.

Also, after careful review, there IS no grammatical error! Ha! Well done Quinton, you almost fooled me!

And addressing Whitelily's concerns... let's have some teacher-cyber-survivor: each week one of the teachers among the huddle will be voted off the huddle and furthermore the entire information mega-speedpike we call the internet.

Who's with me?? (We need a 2 thirds majority among the non-teachers to pass the motion.)

Wed May 14, 09:05:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Oh, the hilarity, from both of you.

Hinch: Considering one of the schools being folded into west-end-mega-high is Booth, I can only assume there will be a doubling of teenage day-care facilities, to start.
I would also expect an extra-large (humongous) hallway in which to house the combined school's new "Scull Row."

CrosB:
Thanks for the kind words. Why is it you want Janes to be in the bush when you get back?
So yeah, I'm quasi-considering sending a letter to the school board, or maybe an MHA, with citations. It would be hard without living in that district, hehe, so we'll see.

There is a small grammar error in the letter, though---in the first paragraph when they refer to the school board with the pronoun "them." By my rules, it should be 'it'... only frustrating because they slightly altered my wording to add it.

Who'll be jeff probst if we do survivor? I want cory to be Mark Burnett.

Wed May 14, 10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

There's no want about it, Cory *is* Mark Burnett.

Wed May 14, 10:44:00 AM  
Blogger Janezy said...

I've been racking my brain for the past hour wondering why Tom wants me to be in the Goose when he gets home...but I'm at a loss.

Oh, and I'll be home early July, for good, and officially retired from the HVGB teaching scene....possibly from the global teaching scene as well, we'll see what happens...

Wed May 14, 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

Hands up who didn't predict this? :)

Wed May 14, 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Man, a wrath of huddle teaching retirements.

What'll we all do? Perhaps we'll start an alternative school a la Harold Horwood.
I'm not holding out for action on that front, but, Janes'll be all into it, I'm sure.

p.s., I figured Janes would make it through...well, up until I talked to Colin, and got the full deal about the workload up there.

Janesy be workin like a sherpa.

Wed May 14, 12:28:00 PM  
Blogger WhiteLily said...

Who needs a survivor? We'll just wait until you retirees leave and then battle it out "American Gladiator" style. >8]

Wed May 14, 09:19:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

sue's got a point. American gladiator (old school style) is so much better than anything this decade's thought up.

Wed May 14, 10:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home