RIP Smithers Brake

As those of you here know, Smithers Brake, aka Smithers Crosbie, aka "Bumdarts" (to Nick's friends) was put down Friday. Jill and I just picked up his ashes with Mom, who plans to keep them at St Philips until eventually they will be buried with Bob (not for a long time we hope!).
He had a very quick decline over the last week-- when I got here, he was in great shape except for some problems with his back legs, and everyone was worried about Ellie. Anyway, he suddenly stopped eating and drinking, and we barely got a wag out of him during Nick's birthday party (where the pictures were taken). He was still wanting to join the party though, and had his wits about him. But a few days later, he could barely move, so Mom made the big decision.
He will no doubt be missed by those who had the chance to live with him particularly (Jill and Sue) and remembered fondly for his love of unlikely foods (lettuce, for example), his love of being held in strange positions, and his unrelenting good humour.
He was as happy a dog as Abby was an unhappy cat!





















6 Comments:
:( :( :( Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear about the little guy. I was just looking at pictures of him the other day. He was my adopted-doggie and has a very special place in my heart. I'm very saddened by your loss Tom but if he was suffering, this is the better way for him. Now he, Shilo, and Yentil can play together in heaven.
RIP Smithers! You're well loved.
*sniff*
I'm glad we got to visit one last time while I was home. :~(
This is the third pet in four months. :( No more!
No more indeed.
Mr. Smithers, sorry to see you go. You were excellent company to one Ellie, a gifted barker, and a handsome wearer of sweaters.
I think I completely forgot that he was named after the Simpsons character of the same name.
Yes, he was named so for two reasons:
1. His original name when we adopted him from his questionable first owners from the battery was "didders" or "dithers": why? because he was a little didder (or dither). But he didn't have a real name, which seemed to be a task beyond that family. Therefore he was ripe for naming in the "-ithers" vein.
2. Mom had only agreed to get a second dog to keep Ellie company. Therefore, in the car after we removed him from the first family's house, I said we should name him Smithers, in honour of the fact that he would be expected to perform the task of servant to Ellie. But then the first night he was at 8 Winthrop he tried to rape her.
(Tried and failed, as she is a huge ballbuster more than capable of dealing with him.)
Anyhow, thanks Sue and Phil-- I knew you would be very upset in particular Sue but I also thought Phil would have paved the way as he did get a good chance to see Smithers near the end there. He never got so bad that he was in real pain, but he had very clearly given up the will to live and refused water even when you tried to hand feed it to him.
Also, yes, a bad year for pets!
Yeah, Philip did a good job of talking about Smithers when he got home. And we oogled over him in Jill's FB pics the other day as well and had a few good laughs about his mishaps. Bless his little heart!
Okay, I think I've cried as much for this fellow as I did my own pup! Tell Suzanne we're thinking of her (I think I'll send a card).
Also, Jill, I didn't mean to leave Abby out of the prancing dogs in heaven image. I just imagine her over at cat heaven tormenting Skye (but being secretly delighted to see him again). :D
Post a Comment
<< Home