Monday, April 10, 2006

The Great Wall of....Street Meat!

Well, my friend, Justin Hartery who used to work at the Muse is now teaching ESL in Dalian, China. Arielle and I met up with him one time a few years ago in Montreal. And I got a chance to see him over Christmas, and now he's back in China for another year. China!
Click here and check out a video from a friend of his, as they move out into the city for some...Chinese Barbeque! Except this is no ordinary BBQ on a stick- they call it "Chuar"- the variety is impressive, and some items are particularly....chewy?
So go ahead and check it out- and also look for their friend Rick- who is also from Newfoundland, and has been in China for a while longer-this video is a must see- I guarantee you'll walk away with some new cultural understanding of China, fo shizzle.
Happy Mondays!

7 Comments:

Blogger Invisible Shield said...

did no one watch this video yet?

it's awesome!

Tue Apr 11, 02:16:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

some of us have masters degrees to complete....

Tue Apr 11, 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Ahem... and so, it goes w/o saying that youve seen it- probably a couple of times :)

what'd you think?

Wed Apr 12, 12:56:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

Yes, goodness knows I watched it.

Grossed me out. They also seemed overly juvenile. (cock on a stick? Where are we, the Burin peninsula? :))

Wed Apr 12, 02:14:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

mmm... two interesting things to note about your comment there, phil-

A) you are a vegetarian, after all. Aren't you grossed out by...A turkey sandwich? ;) And Vancouver has surely only made you more so... Bif naked, I hear is a Raw-foods Veggie. What's up with that???

B)mmm, and as for humour found regarding bodily functions, I'll point you here:
"I look to step up my efforts in the current quarter (i.e. puke on Jacob's bed, regularly).

That crazy cory....
haha, it's been too long since you've been home!

Wed Apr 12, 03:19:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

Puking on Jacob's bed is funny, asking a chinese girl if there's cock on a stick, when she has no idea what they're talking about, is less funny. :)

I'm not really grossed out by most meat, but sticks with meat on it sitting out in the street is kind of gross. Particularly when they are such rudimentary sections of animals as liver, head, heart, etc.

Though I will agree that it is entirely too long since I've been home. Can't wait for July!!

Wed Apr 12, 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan McLaughlin said...

Hey guys.. as this site just rated as #2 for referals to my Web site (next to direct requests (6045 to 108 if you're curious... #3 was my preview button at 60... yes I mess with layout too much)....

ANYWAY.. yer right, we were juvinile in the video... but if you don't act like an idiot when you're out with your friends eating and drinking... then well, reconsider your social life eh?

As for Maggie not "getting" the cock on an stick part... she got it, she just couldn't figure out if we were joking about a chicken on a stick or a cock on a stick... as we joke about some pretty stupid stuff and she's used to it.

You're right though, a lot of streat meat here can be pretty nasty... but you'd be surprised how addictive it is. I actually grabbed a few chuar on the way home today, couple chicken hearts in fact... those things are rad man.

But yeah, if you're vegetarian... not exactly on the menu I supose.

Anyway, all this to say thanks for watching. Whether you enjoyed it or not, it was nice to have you along.

And as I can't think of any other gross things... the next one will likely be a bit tamer.

Fri Apr 14, 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home