Thursday, April 06, 2006

It was the best of times...

...or maybe the worst. The TSSU, a union of which I am a member due to teaching assistantships, has recently passed a new contract. The good: I get a windfall amount of $3000 for having been a full-time TA for the past two semesters. The bad: there are no changes to tuition either in terms of magnitude, or how it gets payed. (I don't get enough per paycheque to pay each term's tuition, and I am not clever enough to save in advance. Also, I get penalized (in the form of fees) if I don't pay it on time. BUT THE UNIVERSITY IS THE ONE PAYING ME. Figure this out.)

Anyway, we grad students and teaching support staff had to vote on this new deal, and because we are short term suckers, it passed. Please be advised that I am also a short term sucker, and that 3000 bucks will help pay my tuition (on time for once!) and take a chunk out of my credit card debt, more immediate concerns than the forever future of graduate student tuition reduction at Simon Fraser University. So, I'm totally psyched about getting this money, but if we only had the foresight to demand better deals, it wouldn't be a one-time buyout.

1 Comments:

Blogger Invisible Shield said...

i'll take your 3 G's.

and, yeah, governments operate on the understanding that people are afraid to band together to get things done.... shitty, but they're right.

Fri Apr 07, 02:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home