Cat's out of the box
The cat is officially out of the box: I'm sad to say that yours truly and Jill will NOT be returning home for christmas! or at all until June!!!
This is very depressing for us as we had many wicked plans... teaching at mun, hanging out with nothing to do, wii, eastwood, buttertarts, drinking, eating like a fiend, staying at bob's apartment downtown....
DAMNIT!
So here was the line of thought that lead us to decide to stay in melbourne instead of heading home for good in december.
1. my thesis: I got behind in writing and realised I would have to finish writing it in January, the same time I started a new job at mun (whihc was only a hope, not a certainty...). So staying here, i figured I would have the whole month off from working to focus on writing...
2. visas: we realised that if we applied for a visa in march we would be able to stay here until classes end in june. This means jill could keep working and I'll be able to teach one more term here. But we have no visa options in canada, unless jill has a job lined up beforehand.
3. money: if we moved back home in december, we wouldn't have any savings, and jill would likely take forever to find a job or have to live in the field the whole time (a la jacob last summer), which wouldn't justify moving home! Meanwhile, in the best case I'd be working at mun (which pays less than our rent would be), so I'd have to have a second job (which in st john's isnt easy to find from my experience) and not have any time to focus on my thesis.
4. next september: wherever we go next september, we'll need to have money saved up to get an apartment and to cover the time until jill get's a job (and in the worst case i get a job). We wouldn't save much in newfoundland because we'll make way less than here, unless jill works in the field, which doesn't justify moving home.
So there you go, Im not happy about it but it seemed like the only option. The good side, however, is that hopefully by June we'll have enough saved that we can stay the whole summer in newfoundland without working. This would be ideal, as all the wicked things of christmas will be translated in the second, much longer christmas season....
It sucks living away though for all the reasons jacob has mentioned for christmas........ I feel like a fucker but there you go, i know it's going to be wicked christmas too!
This is very depressing for us as we had many wicked plans... teaching at mun, hanging out with nothing to do, wii, eastwood, buttertarts, drinking, eating like a fiend, staying at bob's apartment downtown....
DAMNIT!
So here was the line of thought that lead us to decide to stay in melbourne instead of heading home for good in december.
1. my thesis: I got behind in writing and realised I would have to finish writing it in January, the same time I started a new job at mun (whihc was only a hope, not a certainty...). So staying here, i figured I would have the whole month off from working to focus on writing...
2. visas: we realised that if we applied for a visa in march we would be able to stay here until classes end in june. This means jill could keep working and I'll be able to teach one more term here. But we have no visa options in canada, unless jill has a job lined up beforehand.
3. money: if we moved back home in december, we wouldn't have any savings, and jill would likely take forever to find a job or have to live in the field the whole time (a la jacob last summer), which wouldn't justify moving home! Meanwhile, in the best case I'd be working at mun (which pays less than our rent would be), so I'd have to have a second job (which in st john's isnt easy to find from my experience) and not have any time to focus on my thesis.
4. next september: wherever we go next september, we'll need to have money saved up to get an apartment and to cover the time until jill get's a job (and in the worst case i get a job). We wouldn't save much in newfoundland because we'll make way less than here, unless jill works in the field, which doesn't justify moving home.
So there you go, Im not happy about it but it seemed like the only option. The good side, however, is that hopefully by June we'll have enough saved that we can stay the whole summer in newfoundland without working. This would be ideal, as all the wicked things of christmas will be translated in the second, much longer christmas season....
It sucks living away though for all the reasons jacob has mentioned for christmas........ I feel like a fucker but there you go, i know it's going to be wicked christmas too!





















5 Comments:
As long as there is a Christmas in July, as per last year, then all will be fine. In which case I will also have to be home for that. :)
Admit it, you guys just can't give up roo-burgers and Koke (it's a tasty beverage with caffeine and pureed Koala).
Man, roo burgs and Koke... Maybe we should go to Australia for Christmas.
But the Jom unit will be missed over the holidays. I'm at my parents house while writing this, and they are also severly disapointed. Mom says she is going to cut her buttertart recipe in half... Don't worry, I slapped her and told her to double it.
Does this mean you won't be back for xmas?
yeah, it sucks the big one, guys.
on the positive side, i guess, you only get to live on the other side of the world once... so, the more of it the better.
My movie-watching, buttertart-eating, late-night-McDonald's-value-menu-big-mac-grabbing is surely going to suffer.
As will the goat of yule.
Sad stories.
Post a Comment
<< Home