Sunday, February 17, 2008

Hats off to the old man, or, "a challenge."

First of all, Happy Birthday, Mr. Prince! We hope it is fraught with drinks and good eats!

It's Jacob's birthday tomorrow/today in OZ, and so I wanted to begin a little "birthday challenge" in his honour.

So back in the "Summer of Huddle" there was the occasion of a small debate, from which arose a difference between two camps: the first, believing in the Zodiac on some level, the second, denying it any relevance whatsoever. The second, of course, was spearheaded by one of the Cocos (though that was to be assumed).

The challenge is this. I have scanned, for your viewing pleasure, the text of three pages from The Birthday Book, wherein each page represents the birthday of a different huddler. The presupposition is that by identifying (or not identifying) which text belongs to Jacob's birthday, we shall have stepped closer to deciding whether or not the text can accurately be used.

What follows are the images. Please read, then subsequently vote which is Jacob's in the comments section. Bonne Chance!



27 Comments:

Blogger jill said...

Happy birdday jacob! i hope you have fun, sorry its on a monday. get any good presents?

my vote is for the the great enigma one, but only because i have eliminated the other two. also, i think the day of ups and downs is june 10th for mister moody over here.

Mon Feb 18, 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger jill said...

can i change my answer? after actually reading through the last one, i think jacob is that one--the complete picture

and here is your birthday present a cat

=^..^=

Mon Feb 18, 08:03:00 AM  
Blogger WhiteLily said...

Birthday wished from Toronto! There's a birthday card in the mail so watch for that. Your anti-matter self (i.e. my brother) says Happy Birthday as well.

Having read all three pages, I can fit Tom into two easily, Jill's definitely the second one (animal love and all that), and Jacob...I have no idea. So I'll go with Jill on the last one. :)

Mon Feb 18, 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger rowetisserie said...

Firstly, I would like to point out that Tom's posting of this suggests perhaps that he himself believes our birthday boy to fall into one of the three listed descriptions. Have you given up on your original position, Coco-Flip-Flopper?

Nextly, I would also suggest that the open nature of the votes may have a swaying effect on people's choices, thus biasing the results.

Lastly, I'm with Jill on this one.

Mon Feb 18, 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

hmm. Mr. Rowe raises a good point... Phil--- any good ways to anonymize this? Beep beep, dot dot dot. Maybe a built-in voting thing... i srsly dunno.

Mon Feb 18, 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

I greatly object to the slanderous calumny which m.Rowe has been projecting at me. Kindly note that I have yet to comment on this, and therefore your comments mark you as the proverbial "April Fool." If only Lise wasn't working the dunce-cap you could put you in your own place.

Further to comments immediately above:

First:
___
_\|__|__
/ o|o \
|_ ,|, |
|_+_|

Ther's a fine humorous face for your b-day jbird. A little Baron Samedi action--Here's me coming through for you when M.Rowe, proprietor of that image, is letting you down in a huge way.

I say jbird is the all-rounder: good at kroke, good at Wii, good at Geo**'s of all sorts.

Finally, while I suppose completely arbitrary shapes that we see in collections stars which have no relationship to each other and that are a literally millions of light years away from us and each other MIGHT influence the way children's personalities develop, yet somehow I doubt that every single person who shares J-bird's birthday will have more in common with each other than with any other equally sized group. The obvious exception exists for Scorpios, backstabbers, and Aquarians, homos.

Also, this may be a controversial point, but all those born in early April are also backstabbing homos.

Mon Feb 18, 07:42:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

Damn you autoformatting!

it should look like:

....___
_\|__|__
./ o|o \
.|_ ,|, |
..|_+_|

Mon Feb 18, 07:44:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

Sounds to me like someone's Master's thesis isn't finished yet. >8]

Mon Feb 18, 07:56:00 PM  
Blogger MsNina said...

Happy Birthday JACOB! I hope you have a fantastic day and new year!

Mon Feb 18, 09:25:00 PM  
Blogger MsNina said...

My guesses are: Ups & Downs = Jacob, Great Enigma = Arielle, & The Full Picture = Luke -- I could be totally incorrect but that is my guess. I do think that none of these are mine ... but I could be incorrect on that too ... You never know I might have inside info on at least one????

Mon Feb 18, 09:37:00 PM  
Blogger Jaboc said...

Well thanks to all for the b-day wishes/greetings/punctuation pictures/pets. It was a great day indeed!

And I'm going to have to agree with Jill, and vote for the latter for myself. I can visualize Tom in the first one as well. No idea about the second.

So Luke, are you going to spill the astrological beans or what?

Tue Feb 19, 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

I will now spill some astrological beans:

The possible birthday book-ees are:

Jacob (obvs.)
Jill
Hin-Chay
Matthew
Arielle
Cory
Susan

None else need apply. But please apply yourself to hazard a guess!*wink*wink*zing*: phil!

Tue Feb 19, 02:09:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

GUESSES NEEDED!!!! I don't want this information hanging on for eternity!

Wed Feb 20, 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger Student said...

just tell us fucker!

1 = cory
2 = jabird
3 = arielle.

I also have the feeling jacob has some big news but has been equally slow in sharing information....!

Thu Feb 21, 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jaboc said...

Just wait and see Crizby...

Thu Feb 21, 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

that's awfully cryptic. I wanna know now!

And for the record, I don't totally get Jacob in any of these. :(

Thu Feb 21, 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Phil, you continue to make excuses! Crizzles launches an insult, but then guesses at least!

Who knew there were so many holyrood perfectionists?

It's now narrowed down enough, mesays!

Thu Feb 21, 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger jill said...

i curse this post! it's fit for the pit -- and NOTHING ELSE!

Frustrations of this post:
1. Luke refusing to say what the deal is with the birthdays.
2. Jacob refusing to say what the deal is with the big news.
3.

Let's do say that Phil's vote was for none of the above: a legitimate vote!

Thu Feb 21, 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

tom, stop posting as Jill.

&what happened to number three?

and 'none of the above' is absolutely not a valid vote!

Thu Feb 21, 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

It's been seconded Luke, it is definitely a valid vote, even if my seconder is one T.Cribs.

Fri Feb 22, 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

No man, that was jill, we're both really steamed about the lack of free-flowing deets.

Fri Feb 22, 12:11:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Whatever...

no deets till Phil makes a vote.

And, while we're at it, where's Cory+Jacob+manyothers???

Fri Feb 22, 01:03:00 AM  
Blogger Philip said...

Fine:

1. Hinchey
2. Cory
3. Jacob

Fri Feb 22, 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Excellent.

Nicely done, all guessers!

Here are the answers in order:

1)= Matthew
2)= Arielle(!)
3)= Jacob, the birthday boy!

I think it makes a strong degree of sense, though I can't comment on Arielle's reported use of "silence." I can only assume that when that day comes, the book will be right, and the thunderous effects of her silence will be all-encompassing.

Other comments?

Fri Feb 22, 11:03:00 AM  
Blogger WhiteLily said...

I see none of those people in those pages and THEREFORE conclude that Zodiac stuff is really just nonsense.

Sat Feb 23, 09:20:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

@Sue— Yeah, while I remain somewhat of a skeptic, I think a close reading can, at the least, reveal some similarities. Whether we choose to buy into them or not depends on the individual. I find mine to be quite revealing, which is why I'm mostly a believer in the birthday book.

The book's methods are interesting, as well. . . they compile biographical information for celebrities born on that day, and I believe, they interview randoms on their birthday and come up with a consensus. So it's not just looking at stars :)

But here's my reading of it:

Arielle's (the great enigma)
--- does not particularly like answering questions about herself, i.e., would prefer to ask about GOSS from others.
---- powerful inner+outer fantasy life? I think Pale Male would agree to that one!
--- as for the use of silence, I was skeptical, but I can believe that when Arielle chooses to be silent, it has a dramatic effect.

Jacob's (day of complete picture)

The first thing that pops out at me here is the preference to become impatient with minutae. In this case, I'm thinking about the sale of one motorcycle. He might have kept it, except for all the hassles involved.
----- and the insistence on long term goals seems true, considering his geology schtuff.
---- hypersensitivity? I'm hoping for some sweet goss from Cory+matthew on that one.

Matthew (Ups + Downs)

----"so often passing from one state to the next." I thought that of all of these, this one is the closest reading to any individual yet. This is an amazing description of part of M. Rowe, in my opinion.
----"their twin pitfalls are excessive behaviour on one hand and complacency on the other." Anyone around for the infamous Christmas a few years ago, involving one, nay, two humungous law papers can attest to that.

---- i could go on about matthew's, but I just think that one, especially, is impressively close.



****
So that's what I was thinking. I'll also say that it's interesting that Jill called out Jacob, correctly, as being "The completely picture."

I really want to hear from Jacob+Matthew+Arielle on their profiles!

Sat Feb 23, 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Coco butter said...

April folk are backstabbing homos. That's the truest statement I've ever heard. This post has convinced me, star allignment always determines personality traits. Jacob's left out the fact that he's a cock for not telling everyone his big news which those who know are eager to discuss.

Sat Feb 23, 02:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home