Canadian Thanksgiving: An Attempt to Begin the Planning
I know Luke mentioned renting a cabin somewhere at some point... I learned this weekend that the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY have very cheap cabins, AND is exactly the same driving distance from NYC and Toronto (about 6 hours) AND may have pretty fall colours at thanksgiving-time. Anyone into this idea?
Anyone have any other destination ideas/preferences?
You are of course all welcome in NYC again, and Tom and I will have our own place starting Oct 1! But I would always love to go somewhere new...and if all else fails we could come to Toronto...
ok....opinions.....anyone.....
Anyone have any other destination ideas/preferences?
You are of course all welcome in NYC again, and Tom and I will have our own place starting Oct 1! But I would always love to go somewhere new...and if all else fails we could come to Toronto...
ok....opinions.....anyone.....





















14 Comments:
Have you found your own place? Where!?
How cheap is cheap, that's my only real question. NYC is fun because it's big+weird+full of stuff we don't know much about but think we do, and because we all have somewhere to crash for free. :)
The Adirondack Mtns would also be fun (we could do some day trips to weird ol' places, hikes, etc), so we'd be game for either! Where in the mountains do you know of places to stay?
Yeah, we got a place to ourselves quite near jill's current apartment. very exciting! it has two bedrooms, so should be more comfortable than last time.
I'm happy with either plan. Perhaps the first thing to determine though is dates and who has what days off. Thanksgiving is on a Monday (oct 11) this year. I could try to get off class Monday and would also have Tuesday off since I'm free then anyway.
We'll have Friday evening->Monday night off (Sue will have to be back to her school on Tuesday morning).
One difference for the Toronto contingent would be that we'd fly this year, so we'd have more time for awesomeness in NYC if that's the route we choose. If the plan is to go to a cabin in the 'rondacks, we'd obvs have to drive too.
wow, I thought this was PHil, because it was exactly what he said he wanted to discuss. WTG, Jill.
It's true I favour a more isolated trip, as I found the one drawback last year (besides the constant heckling of the janze) was the obscene number of distractions in a very short weekend.
Perhaps the city's newness has worn a bit, and we'll be more successful a second time. Certainly Josh has more room this time (penthouse styles this year).
I suppose the ideal thing to do might be to fit both in. I say 4 nights would be amazing, worth messing with peoples' schedules (hey nina!)
Of course, $$$ will continue to be a big issue with this guy, coming from Texas. So ... this may all be quite academic!
Yeah, Phil, is that basically 2 days? Saturday + Sunday? Purdy tight.
Two observations, probably not much to Luke's liking:
1. Those of us who stayed in Bushwick spent a lot of time together, and I didn't feel like NYC got in the way of that.
2. Some of us in Canada (note: not me, obvs) have jobs which don't let us take extended vacations on what is already a holiday weekend!
So, the Toronto contingent can really only make it down Friday night and go back on Monday night. Given this restriction, I don't much care to try to do both places. Either or is good for me, but definitely not both.
Yeah, I'd like to hear more on this from other Bushwickers. The 45 mins. between the two spots was one issue, but the distractions were certainly genuine. Too much competition, at least in our case, as we'd been to quite a few of the destinations prevs.
The loaction is less of an issue, I think.
What it boils down to is that it's a long way from Texas for a short weekend.
—Last year, arguably shorter due to driving issues (arriving late, leaving early).
http://www.selectbrooklyn.com/index.cfm?page=details&id=1523#
here is our new apartment, it is at 108 central ave, Bushwick, if you want to look it up, literally 3 blocks from my current place.
we could all squeeze into our new apartment, ie no one stay with Josh, and pretend its a cabin in the woods somewhere. The only reason that didn't happen last year was because of my roommate, and now we will have none!
We could do a day trip somewhere, hiking or something, metro north goes straight to the hills in westchester county, or out to long island for some apple picking, excellent for bonding.
as i said before though, i am always up for going somewhere new, but ultimately would prefer whatever the majority prefers :)
anyone else? who else is thinking about coming??
I say we visit Albania for thanksgiving. Specifically at a time when we know Jacob isn't there.
Perhaps I can pick the Torontonians up from the airport, especially if it is JFK or LaGuardia. We will then return to Bushwick for drinks and a laff. On Saturday, we'll go to Statue of Liberty or Fire Island park for a picnic, followed by a night on the town. On Sunday, we'll have a quiet day becoming acquainted with Brooklyn: breakfast at a local veg-friendly spot; a nice walk around the park, perhaps stopping into the museum or botanical gardens; later a leisurely return home to cook up our feast (preplanned and groceries bought). The evening will include some laffs. On Monday, we'll go to a special breakfast place in Manhattan, then go to a special tourist location, then return to Bushwick for good times before heading off to the airport.
Do I really have to read all this? Christ.
You guys decide what's happening, and let me know. I'm fine with whatever, once I decide if I can go or not.
You obviously can go!
Unless AC keeps stocking his cigar and dark rum coffers and MCJanezey ain't being paid.
I'll go if Cory goes.
Post a Comment
<< Home