Monday, May 22, 2006

Name that Singer

Rather than bore you with details from my recent trip to the GTA, from which I just returned, I thought I'd share with all you bastards my greatest "purchase", an album I have been looking for for a LONG time...

Found it in an old record shop near the corner of Bloor and Yonge...interestingly, I ran into two members of Depeche Mode inside. Luckily the topic of their particular group didn't come up in our brief conversation, as I honestly couldn't name one song or album they've made. As a side note, I found their purchases interestingly as bizarre as my own...one was carrying a Klezmer music album (the same one I was looking at before chatting with him), and the other was carrying a Doo Wop anthology....

Anyways, here's the first track from the album I bought.....it's up to you to guess the singer, who goes by the name "Joe Doggs" for this recording (Joey DeFrancesco is the organist, by the way). Sorry it's a bit large....deal with it.

Enjoy!

12 Comments:

Blogger Student said...

who is IT??? i can't listen to the song... that post is frastratingly unsatisfying.

Tue May 23, 01:41:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Janes- you are wicked. and this was a wicked post.

but c'mon, "when Im a walkin/I strut my stuff, and I'm so strung out. . . let me go ooooonnnnn liiiike a blister in the suuuunn.... let me go oooonn!!" etc.

Arielle: your humour knows no bounds. That bust my gut- and it hurt! Ouch!!!

I see the name on itunes, and it's really sweet... but who is it?!??!

Reach out and touch "Janes!"

Tue May 23, 01:57:00 AM  
Blogger Janezy said...

Haven't we learned anything from Qwyzzle??

"Google is your friend".

Alright, I s'pose I'll give you a hint, at least...

hint: What was "My Cousin's" name again??

oh, and Tom? why exactly can't you hear it? no speakers?

"Feeling unknown/and youre all alone/flesh and bone/by the telephone...
pick up the receiver, I'll make you a believer"


ahhh, it's comin' back to me now....good 'ol repressed youth...

Janezgamer(styles)

Tue May 23, 02:38:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

answer:

Yngwie Malmstein

[Janezgamer, you gave that away with the repressed youth comment.)

[[I can't hear it because i have to download some shit before it will play, and downloads are prohibito in this har buildingo.]]

Tue May 23, 02:48:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

ps or is it matthew janes?


im so confused...

Tue May 23, 02:49:00 AM  
Blogger Student said...

i figured it out!! now i look back with disdain at my two earlier guesses:

a) yngwie. not so much for janzio's past as his... shall we say... alone time at home? (sha boom...!)
b) matt j. that cousin comment is not to be taken... litrally!

thanks to the google search engine. but now i NEED to listen to it...

sha boom...

Tue May 23, 02:56:00 AM  
Blogger Janezy said...

Tom, how in the HELL did you remember who (or better yet, WHAT) Yngwie Malmsteen was/is. Even I completely forgot that specimen ever existed...yes, that's another part of my youth that I thought I had repressed, so thank YOU for bringing it to light again :P

Anyways, if Luke or Phil or anyone knows where I can stream this tune somewhere on the Intranet, let me know. It's definitely worth hearing, because it actually IS fantastic. Not exactly what you'd expect from such a Good Fella... ;)

Janezgamer(shaboom)[sic]

Tue May 23, 04:35:00 AM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

here's a guide on how to stream- i have no idea if it works, and there's probably an easier way.

to host it, there's some site called bigupload.com and that looks pretty good.

http://www.nunzioweb.com/streaming_audio-example.htm

and Janes, is your cousin named Joey?

Tue May 23, 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

I don't know about streaming, but I could host it on biocurious if you want.

Funny enough, I also remember who Yngwie Malmstein is, entirely because of how into him (and Steve Vai) you were, Janesy. Total hilarity.

Tue May 23, 07:43:00 PM  
Blogger Janezy said...

I blame Wix for all the musical indiscretion of my youth.

I've now conditioned myself to NEVER listen to any musical group he reccomends, my standard response being "yeah, i'll check it out" as I quickly change the subject.

"...that cares about community/We do our best to he-elp it/be the best that it can beeeeee!!!!"

Tue May 23, 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Invisible Shield said...

Ha! While all of you were off enjoying life's little triffles, here I was hard at work, and I now know who is the brilliant author of the song. Surprising! nice touch, Janesey.

a hint from Amazon: he's such a "Goodfella" and doesn't spend much time "Home Alone" ~ otherwise this soulful Newark, New Jersey Jazz citizen gives us his all or nothing at all

Such a sweet Vanier reference, btw M-Jr. !

and Janes, everyone remembers your quasi-obsession with ridiculous/obscure guitar guys. Which reminds me, ever seen anyone play a fretless electric guitar? crazay.

what's Wicks up to?

Wed May 24, 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Janezy said...

Home Alone, eh! Completely forgot he was in that movie...nice! That "Sticky Bandit" sure knows how to carry a tune...

Yes, for some reason I was quasi-obsessed with ridiculous/obscure/lame/ guitarists. Again, Wix's fault :P What's Wix up to? Well, he's finally decided to finish his music degree. He did his graduation recital 3 weeks ago, and it was unbelievably amazing. He impressed the hell out of the Director of the School, which ain't easy to do. What he plans on doing once he's finished next year is beyond me...

and Matt Jr. how in the name of god do you know the Vanier song? Did you secretly go there without any of us knowing? Sounds like something you'd do...

Wed May 24, 09:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home